Before Your First Night of Sleep with Sleep Watch
- Ensure you have properly enabled Sleep Watch to access to your ‘Active Energy’, ‘Resting Energy’, ’Heart Rate’, and ’Steps’ in your Health app. You can confirm this by opening (on your iPhone) the Health app -> Sources -> Sleep Watch section. You may optionally enable Sleep Watch to have read and write access to ‘Sleep Analysis’ if you wish for Sleep Watch to be able to write auto-detected sleep into your Health app.
- Dock your Sleep Watch app on your Apple Watch dock (WatchOS3 users only)
- Make sure that ‘Wrist Detection’ is not disabled for your Apple Watch. The wrist detection feature is required in order for your Watch to know that it should be trying to read your heart rate when you are still during sleep. You can confirm that Wrist Detected is enabled for your Watch by opening (on your iPhone) the Watch app -> General section. Ensure that the ‘Wrist Detection’ option is enabled, green.
How to Use the Sleep Watch app
- Make sure your Apple Watch is adequately charged before bedtime (**we recommend at least 65% charge before bed**)
- Wear your Apple Watch to bed, ensuring a comfortably snug fit to allow the Watch heart rest sensor to properly function throughout the night. (**do not enable Power Reserve mode**)
- About 30 minutes after you wake, check the Watch or iPhone app to review your auto-detected sleep stats. If you would like to see your sleep stats more immediately upon waking, we recommend checking Sleep Watch on your Watch since possible delays associated with data syncing between Watch and iPhone are not a factor.
- Confirm or adjust your auto-detected sleep times on the iPhone app
We recommend scheduling ‘Do Not Disturb’ to turn on automatically during your typical sleeping hours to prevent any Watch notifications from disturbing you during sleep. This can be done in the iPhone Watch App > My Watch > General > “Do Not Disturb” section. We also recommend enabling 'Theatre Mode' while asleep to keep your Watch screen dark until waking.
- Leveraging the state-of-the-art motion and heart rate sensors in your Apple Watch, our algorithm estimates when you are asleep by analyzing changes in your activity and heart rate.
- Sleep Watch cannot function with Apple Watch ‘Power Reserve’ mode enabled since ‘Power Reserve’ mode will disable the heart rate and motion sensors that Sleep Watch relies on to estimate your sleep stats.
- Sleep Watch cannot function if ‘Wrist Detection’ is disabled on your Watch since the Watch needs to be able to know to sample your heart rate during your sleep when you are still.
- Sleep Watch can function with Apple Watch ‘Airplane Mode’ enabled; but, you will need to ensure that you turn off the Apple Watch ‘Airplane Mode’ in order to view any auto-detected sleep stats on your Apple Watch or iPhone.
- Sleep Watch looks for sleep that starts between the hours of 7:00pm and 11:30am and that lasts at least 1 hour. You may optionally enable the experimental ‘All-Day Detection’ feature from the Account tab within the Sleep Watch iPhone app if you wish for Sleep Watch to look for sleep during all hours of the day with this experimental feature.
- If enabled, Sleep Watch notifications about how you slept are sent at least 30 minutes after your detected wake-up time
- Your sleeping heart rate is calculated as the average heart rate during your sleep times
If your sleep is regularly and significantly under-estimated or over-estimated
If Sleep Watch regularly and significantly under-estimates your total sleep time, you may adjust the sleep detection sensitivity level to ‘High’ to make Sleep Watch more sensitive in detecting your sleep. On the contrary, if Sleep Watch regularly and significantly over-estimates your total sleep time, you may adjust the sleep detection sensitivity level to ‘Low’ to make Sleep Watch less sensitive in detecting your sleep. To adjust your Sleep Watch’s sleep detection sensitivity level, follow these instructions:
- Open the Sleep Watch iOS app on your iPhone
- Go to the ‘Account’ tab
- Scroll down and tap on the ‘Sleep Detection Sensitivity’ row
- Select your choice and hit ‘Save’